Not many literary magazines have the drive for “world domination” as Eric Vona, sponsor of the student publication, The Echo, describes as one of their goals for this year.

“All jokes aside, the best thing a literary magazine can do is showcase a student’s work,” he goes on to say. One of the things the magazine best characterizes is community participation; this year, they’ve made a marked change to expand and inform people of what The Echo is.

“We want everyone to know who and what The Echo is,” said Melissa Farria, coeditor-in-chief of the magazine.

Junior Mattingly Gerasomavich takes a break from managing prose submissions to reflect on the club's propaganda. These posters and graphics have been featured all across the school in a campaign to raise awareness about the magazine.
Junior Mattingly Gerasomavich takes a break from managing prose submissions to reflect on the club’s propaganda. These posters and graphics have been featured all across the school in a campaign to raise awareness about the magazine.

She helped design the advertising campaign well delivered across campus through propaganda, in the guise of minimalist black and white posters demanding submissions.

A process of growth has occurred, exemplified in membership doubling, two issues will be published, and next year the club will actually be offered as a class.

“Three years ago, Mrs. Syron said we should have a writing club as a forum for student work,” said Vona. “I took the idea and tried to see how far we could take it.”

Those beginnings have led to growing more and more every year. One member, prose editor Mattingly Gerasomavich, offered why he originally wanted to join, and a reason many other members share.

“I really had a strong desire to write, I enjoyed the people in my creative writing class and thought it’d be a creative outlet.”

“Obey the Echo,” said Farria. Maybe one day, they’ll reach their original plans, and everyone will submit to The Echo.

Anthony Campbell // Staff Writer