The lady warriors huddle after a point. They went 2-3 last weekend after coming in undefeated.

Going into the double tournament weekend the warriors were 4-0, coming out of it they were 6-3.

The East Coast Challenge and the East Coast Invitational were both on Steinbrenner’s slate this weekend, coming off of a three game week. On Friday, Spanish River High (145 in the state*) out of 8A District 10 was the first opponent in the Challenge tournament, it was a best of three format and the warriors swept for the win 2 sets to 0. At 7 PM the warriors played Wellington (13 in the state*) out of 8A District 9, as their opening Invitational tournament match, losing in straight sets to their first top 100 opponent 25-22, 26-24.

On Saturday at 10 AM, the warriors second and final Invitational tournament match began against Martin County (4 in the state*) from 7A District 12, losing in straight sets 25-15, 25-21. Steinbrenner secured their first win against a top 100 opponent by upsetting Okeechobee (49 in the state*) from 7A District 12 in the Challenge tournament 25-15, 25-16. At 3 PM the warriors’ day wrapped up in their final Challenge tournament match, this time against Forest High (121 in the state*) of 7A District 1. Steinbrenner lost 25-16, 25-12.

After five matches in under 24 hours, the lady warriors came out with loss to a lower ranked team (Forest) but also a win against a higher ranked team (Okeechobee). They reached 20 points in both sets against against top 15* ranked Wellington.

Steinbrenner heads to Jefferson on Tuesday, the dragons are 542* in the state.

Zealand Shannon / Oracle

*rankings taken from the end of last season

One thought on “East Coast Challenge and East Coast Invitational Bring Tough Competition for Volleyball

1. Once again … there’s NOTHING on golf or swimming OR CROSS COUNTRY . The boys finished a point behind the best team ,Plant, in the state last weekend. And where does the “student magazine” of Steinbrenner mention that? NO WHERE. Cmon man, it ain’t cool.